Thursday, September 16, 2021

Thrust Upward

We had it all, begging no pardon,

Accepting no quarter from frequent distracters,

Keeping a light over our pretty bedclothes,

Feeding the meter with coinage aplenty.

 

Happily, snappily, jauntily singing,

Running through sprinklers in childlike joy,

Bracing for nothing, braking for less,

Flying full-throttle through oceans of air.

 

We never thought the world could come crumbling,

Never imagined us coming to end.

Tolls left unpaid coming due with a vengeance,

Sipping the bile of indifference and change.

 

I ran with blinders; did not see it coming

Til you stopped me hard, dagger in hand.

Stabbing me deep to the pit of my stomach

You thrust upward straight to my heart.

 

I can’t imagine my world without you.

You can’t imagine the damage you’ve done.

Heart soundings mutes to eternal silence

Joined with the undead in their zombie walk.

 Lulu Storefront: http://www.lulu.com/dsmartin

No comments: