Tuesday, February 13, 2018

THE CLEAN CRISP AIR OF AUTUMN

Something is different as I wake this morning.
The air has the freshness of cool satin sheets
As I rise to greet the new day at it's dawning.
My mind starts to race and my heart skips a beat
In anticipation; something has changed.
The air is new and clean and alive;
No sweltering mire of the dog days of August
With laboring breath meant to merely survive.

No sweat-stained nightshirt.
No ragweed filled head.
No tossing about through the night in half-sleep.
The breeze falling down from Saskatchewan beckons
A peaceful serenity, silent and deep.

The trees know the difference. they've started to blush
Knowing full well their nakedness soon will appear.
The Sun itself seems to be more in a rush
To shorten each day to the end of the year.
But I'll not waste these precious days.
I'll count each one with loving care;
Recording the sights of the changing seasons,
Breathing the clean, crisp Autumn air.


Lulu Storefront: http://www.lulu.com/dsmartin
Amazon Author's Page: http://www.amazon.com/Dennis-S-Martin/e/B004SXY4LG/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1394055582&sr=1-2-ent

No comments: