Tuesday, July 07, 2020

We had a Pretty Good Run

Could this be the face that once
Inspired another’s heart to beat?
The cruel mirror doesn’t lie
And I could cry at what reflects.
The happy pair that once danced there,
Now a solo, incomplete.
Maddened by the loss until
The voice of reason interjects.

Difficult to carry on as one
When two was so familiar.
Waiting for those sweet words
You would whisper in my ear.
Greeting every morning,
Every dawning of a new year.
Thriving without hesitation,
Together facing every fear.

In my memory your face glows
As bright as morning sunrise,
Follows every step I take
Until the day is done.
And I will never lose the love
I always found in your eyes.
Through smiles, through tears,
We shared a perfect run.

Lulu Storefront: http://www.lulu.com/dsmartin

No comments: