Monday, November 01, 2021

Empty Nest

This house was once a teaming, screaming,

Rowdy loud menagerie.

Sometimes it seemed a thousand feet were

Pounding floor from dawn to dusk.

At times my own voice cracked as I related

My displeasure with

The maddening annoyance

Singing, ringing in my ear.

Praying for a moment, just one

Minutes peace to calm my nerves.

Wondering if it would have been

Wiser to be celibate.

Settling disputes with the diplomacy of

Solomon. Finding commonality to

Wash away all doubt and fear.

Now there's such a peaceful calm

Surrounding every moment that

I feel as though my life is truly blessed.

And yet at times I find myself reflecting

On the sweetness of the life we knew

Before our empty nest.

 Lulu Storefront: http://www.lulu.com/dsmartin

No comments: