Friday, November 26, 2021

The Blessed

If they who have suffered are truly blessed,

Then mine is lifetime beyond all reproach.

The circus calliope mocks its refrain

Attempting in vain to cover the hoax born in

Happier times before you went away,

Before all the skies became brooding and gray,

Before life became such a trivial wisp

Of smoke knowing nothing of night and day.

 

Yes, it's true my lament has a sadness avoid

Of all gladness the sane world holds dearly in store.

But hope is my neighbor, my roommate, companion

And guide who searches behind every door.

And though I am skeptical, slow to

Accept my litmus example put to the test,

I can't play the martyr or run the risk

Of missing the chance to be truly blessed.

 Lulu Storefront: http://www.lulu.com/dsmartin

No comments: