Monday, January 03, 2022

Baltimore - 3 A.M.

Something caused my eyes to flutter

From their deep and restful sleep.

I instinctively comply as nature

Causes me to rise and heed her call.

I glance to see the time is only 3 a.m.

The floor is cold against my heels

So quickly I complete my task and

Quietly return to cover. Barely wrinkling the sheets.

Hardly a creature stirs the night.

The stillness speaks in deafening tones

Of things nocturnal.  I can almost hear

Your heartbeat next to mine.

As I turn to face you, just before

I fade back into slumber,

Your peaceful face a silhouette of

Features I know so well,

I pause to count the blessings

And I count this time among the best.

Baltimore at 3 a.m., and love

That's truly stood the test.

 Lulu Storefront: http://www.lulu.com/dsmartin

No comments: