Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Going Home

They say you can’t go home again after

Time has stolen all your

Childhood memories from bygone days.

Replacing them instead with whiffs of

Progress and regression,

Finding old familiar haunts

Lost within a maze.

 

Old friends, some still treading there,

(Others long and far away)

Flashing forlorn withered faces

Painted with synthetic smiles.

Slapping thighs as they remember

Youthful tanned exuberance of

How they got from there to here.

“Won’t you sit and stay a while.”

 

Sorry that I cannot tarry,

Tempting as the thought may be.

But I have other worlds to conquer,

Other realms to search and roam.

Chance that when my trek is over

And my feet need firmer ground

Time proclaims my travels finished

And will find me going home.

 

No comments: