Monday, December 12, 2022

I Love you. Did I Say I love you?

Sweet, yet bittersweet the words

Whispered, almost breathless with

Devotion and assurance.

Searching for response in kind that

She knew was sure to come as does

An echo in an empty hallway tenderly return.

She didn’t even realize those

Same three words had passed her lips

But moments since

And I had reassured her that

I loved her, too.

 

What I said, but had not said,

That I would run through raging fire

If that was what she asked of me,

That I would stand beside her

If the plagues of Hell rained on our heads.

 

What she said, but had not said,

That she would walk me hand in hand

Down every pathway to the end,

To guide me with her shining star

And be my rainbow’s pot of gold.

 

“I love you. Did I say I love you?”

Yes, my love.

You did.

 

No comments: