Monday, May 29, 2023

Speaking Jive

Sitting in the waiting room, hoping for a turn;

Desperate; trying not to fall asleep.

Wringing out the magazine like a washcloth for my face

To wipe away the tension of a long and anxious keep,

When in he walks, or should I say

He struts into the room; energy too plentiful to fret.

Flitting like a butterfly one person to the next,

Desperate just to bum a cigarette.

Then spying an acquaintance, an amazing thing began;

Like honeybees erupting from a hive.

A triad much akin to English, somehow, but not quite,

The two of them began to speak in jive.

A helplessness fell over me, a thing I can't explain;

Like nothing I had ever felt before.

Not a word did these two speak that I could understand;

Although their tones were no less than a roar.

On they spoke, and there was no joke.

Each clearly understood.

And I could tell by the way they talked

Their lives were going good.

It took a while, and it made me smile,

Made me glad to be alive.

And now I know it "ain't no thang"

To be speaking all that jive.

No comments: