Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Innocent

Sitting inside this prison cell,
No walls, no bars, no locks or chains,
No prison guards to walk the halls,
No other inmates to share my grief.

Bound and confused by some unwritten code
That gives you the right to lay judgment on me,
To leave me in torment of unending measure
Willing to grovel for one simple glance.

You turn no ear, offer no reason
Though it appears I have done nothing wrong.
And while I am gathering my resolution, you
Simply fold your tent and walk away.

Where is the justice in your court of passion?
Show me the weight that will balance the scale.
You are the jury, judge and prosecutor with
No breath allowed from my advocate.

Tell me what I need to do for your favor.
Retrace the answers to questions unasked.
I am no more than an innocent fool
Guilty of loving you…
                                     Nothing more.

Lulu Storefront: http://www.lulu.com/dsmartin

No comments: