Thursday, October 03, 2019

Nickelodeon

You were truly before my time,
But that doesn’t make it any less meaningful.
Nickelodeon, play for the piper,
Give them a tune as they wait for the band.
This symbol of joy placed a
Smile on the face, a
Dance in the step, a
Song in the heart of all who
Were lucky enough to have known
The nameless enchantment
Unique to her name.

I grew up later, knowing her grandchild.
Three for a quarter and
Hungry for more.
Playing the records I’d heard on the radio,
Now entirely at my command.
Driving the older crowd
Into submission,
Wond’ring what mock aberration was next.
Dancing a jig if it suited my purpose.
No false apology,
No sense of shame.

Nickelodeon, thanks for your progeny.
Who knows what wonders will shadow your fame?

Lulu Storefront: http://www.lulu.com/dsmartin

No comments: