Monday, October 28, 2019

On the Fourth Floor

Sitting alone in this third floor apartment
As alone as a body can be,
Staring at streetlamps til way after midnight
Starving for your company.
Longing to call, but knowing you’re busy
With your life and your brand new love. You’re up on the fourth floor
While I sit here longing,
With heaven just one floor above.

There was a time when you said you loved me
And promised to always be true,
But I wasn’t ready, the timing seemed wrong, and
I acted just like a fool.
Now that I know the mistake that I made
You’ve had the strength to move on.
You’re up on the fourth floor,
Happy at last,
While I sit here drinking alone.

No one can know how good we might have been
If I had seen Heaven back when.
I can’t help but wonder; would I get it right
If I had the chance to start over again?

I hope you’re happy. Hope that it lasts.
I hope that he’ll always be true.
But if things don’t work out, just call out my name
And I will come running to you.
One floor below you, just biding my time,
Knowing that Heaven’s in view
Up on the fourth floor you smile down at me
And I’m patiently waiting for you.

Lulu Storefront: http://www.lulu.com/dsmartin

No comments: