Tuesday, May 19, 2020

I Love you. Did I Say I love you?

Sweet, yet bittersweet the words
Whispered, almost breathless with
Devotion and assurance.
Searching for response in kind that
She knew was sure to come as does
An echo in an empty hallway tenderly return.
She didn’t even realize those
Same three words had passed her lips
But moments since
And I had reassured her that
I loved her, too.

What I said, but had not said,
That I would run through raging fire
If that was what she asked of me,
That I would stand beside her
If the plagues of Hell rained on our heads.

What she said, but had not said,
That she would walk me hand in hand
Down every pathway to the end,
To guide me with her shining star
And be my rainbow’s pot of gold.

“I love you. Did I say I love you?”
Yes, my love.
You did.

Lulu Storefront: http://www.lulu.com/dsmartin

No comments: