Friday, November 03, 2023

In Other Words

I hate when someone says to me,

"In other words, what you're saying is..."

What I'm saying is just what I said.

What part did you not understand?

Was I not clear?

Did you not hear?

...My words not make it to your ear?

Or were you just distracted by

The simple gestures of my hands?

 

People hear what they want to hear...

What suits their purpose at the time,

And though your words may be crystal clear,

The buzzer stuck inside their head

Distorts and blocks, manipulates

And turns around your meaning 'til

It suits a purpose quite unlike

What you originally had said.

 

And so you hear," In other words..."

And you just want to scream and shout,

Or worse, to take them by the neck and

Squeeze until their lights are out.

 

No comments: