Friday, November 17, 2023

Training Wheels

I must have been no more than six or seven

When I learned to ride using training wheels on

A little blue bike that I rode much too fast

And wound up destroying before it wrecked me.

 

I learned to balance in very short order;

Learned to fly without leaving the ground;

Learned the spirit of kinetic motion that

Stirred my soul and set it free.

 

A few trips over the handle bars,

A few dips into the puddles of Spring,

A few slips and slides in the graveled driveway

Resulting in torn pant leg and skinned up knee.

 

Lessons are easy when young and resilient,

And balance is learned at the drop of a hat,

And vision is clear for the future is now

And our day is filled with simplicity.

 

Pity we can't use training wheels

In learning to scale our emotional lives

Where balance is often a fleeting companion

Blinded by sunlight, unable to see.

 

No comments: