Sunday, July 14, 2019

Standoff

Barricaded!!!
Trapped behind a wall so high
That I must struggle on my keep
Around the clock. Her fortress mocks me
As my eyes refuse to sleep.
Sailing off into the sunset
Is a haunting distant dream
That lingers near, never clearly
Focused as I plot and scheme
To free these bonds, escape this prison,
Throw my jailer to the ground
And run to freedom somewhere distant
Where the fruits of truth abound.

If I only had the strength to
Face the showdown up ahead;
Bold to face the consequences,
Fearing still the flags of red
I sit quiet in my armor
As the stalemate lingers still,
Testing every ounce of metal,
Every measure of my will.

So, the standoff must continue.
Neither side will acquiesce.
In the end, just who will win?
Who will come out second best?

Lulu Storefront: http://www.lulu.com/dsmartin

No comments: