Thursday, July 25, 2019

Tightening the Screws

Game on
And the rules are soon forgotten.
I know
Two wrongs never make a right.
Flame on
When our two worlds burn together
And who knows where it all may end tonight.

I know
That we should have seen it coming.
Eyes wide
To anticipate the news.
We could have spent
All our energy to fix things,
Make it better
Tightening the screws.

But you never said a single word,
And I was such a fool
Never thinking about all that we could lose.
Could have made it all work better
If we’d only thought it through
And took some time tightening the screws.

I’ll beg
If it makes it all seem better.
I’ll plead;
Anything to get to you.
We’ll try
Hand in hand we’ll work together,
Spend a lifetime
Tightening the screws.

Lulu Storefront: http://www.lulu.com/dsmartin

No comments: