Sunday, November 17, 2019

If Only You’d Answer the Phone

I got your letter on Saturday morning,
The one where you told me, “this is so long”.
I tried to call you to say I still love you.
I’d tell you if only you’d answer the phone.

Three days of highways are standing between us
And I know it’s hard being there all alone.
I’d rush right to you in a blind New York minute.
I’d be there if only you’d answer the phone.

I would come running like a hundred yard dash,
Jump on a plane and be there in a flash.
If I could just hear you say, “Babe, come on home.”
I’d be there if only you’d answer the phone.

I just hung up for the forty-fifth time.
I can’t wait around anymore.
Straight to the airport, no more wasted time.
I’ll soon be at your front door. 

You have to tell me why your mind has changed.
What can I do to atone?
It could have been easier to speak to your heart
If only you’d answered the phone. 

Lulu Storefront: http://www.lulu.com/dsmartin

No comments: