Monday, April 25, 2022

See You in the Funny Papers

Newspaper drops and out I go

In pained obedience to retrieve,

Hopeful that the news it heralds

Does not cause my heart to grieve.

 

Disappointment follows as

My slumber-ladened eyes behold

The headline scoops from yesterday

Staring back in gaudy bold.

 

Kidnapped – mine trapped – hurricane -

Markets crashing in disdain -

Hunger – panic – pestilence -

A total lack of common sense….

 

But buried deep within these ink-stained surfaces

A treasure waits to

Fill my morning with delight

And all my qualms alleviate. 

 

And though it is not quite the news

There is no reuse among these capers.

So, I will laugh and be amused to

See you in the funny papers.

 Lulu Storefront: https://www.lulu.com/spotlight/dsmartin

No comments: