Sunday, June 05, 2022

Melancholy

The robin trills his morning poem

In measured meter o’er and o’er.

He wakes the world from silent slumber,

Morning tides true troubadour.

Oft his song is slow and somber

Sung to a departing moon

To signal that the night is over.

A new day will be dawning soon.

 

Suddenly the world is with you

Cluttering your muddled mind

With thoughts of would’ve, could’ve, should’ve

Leaving details misaligned.

So much to do,

So much to say,

So little finished and complete.

So many problems brought to bear

And left to wallow at your feet.

 

I will not yield to melancholy,

Will not chant her sad refrain,

Shall not have her satisfied to

See me drowning in her rain.

Tomorrow I shall wake the robin

With my own sweet morning song,

Find that long lost treasure map to

Make the world my very own.

Lulu Storefront: https://www.lulu.com/spotlight/dsmartin

No comments: