Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Backed Up on the Freeway

I left your arms this morning,

Didn’t want to go.

Spent all day at work. Seems like

A million years or more.

Whistle blows and now I’m gone

In a screaming streak of blue,

But now I’m backed up on the freeway

Trying to get back home to you.

 

Fade left, fade right,

In a sea of red tail lights.

No saving off-ramp can I see,

Just tons of metal blocking me from you.

 

I call you on the telephone,

“Babe, I’m trying to make it home”.

And you say it’s okay,

You understand.

That’s the time I realize

The love that I find in your eyes,

And I’m so lucky

Just to be your man.

 

Now what’s that up ahead I see?

That wall of traffic breaking free,

This rolling prison soon may be

An open highway leading me to you.

 

The minutes seem to pass like days

And my mind is in such a haze,

Only one thought keeps me going

Strong to see it through.

Knowing at my journeys end

I will see your face again,

I won’t be backed up on the freeway

Trying to get back home to you.

 

No comments: