Sunday, December 31, 2023

If Only You’d Answer the Phone

I got your letter on Saturday morning,

The one where you told me, “this is so long”.

I tried to call you to say I still love you.

I’d tell you if only you’d answer the phone.

 

Three days of highways are standing between us

And I know it’s hard being there all alone.

I’d rush right to you in a blind New York minute.

I’d be there if only you’d answer the phone.


I would come running like a hundred yard dash,

Jump on a plane and be there in a flash.

If I could just hear you say, “Babe, come on home.”

I’d be there if only you’d answer the phone.

 

I just hung up for the forty-fifth time.

I can’t wait around anymore.

Straight to the airport, no more wasted time.

I’ll soon be at your front door.

 

You have to tell me why your mind has changed.

What can I do to atone?

It could have been easier to speak to your heart

If only you’d answered the phone.

 

 

No comments: