Thursday, January 11, 2024

Walk Away

It’s deep in December,

The days have grown shorter,

Just like your patience with me.

Nights that blow cold

Both inside and out

In our snow-covered destiny.

I know that we would both be better off

If we would just call it a day.

But it’s really hard

To lay down your cards,

Get up and just walk away.

 

We’ve faced some fears in our stormy years,

Together we’ve managed to win.

But lately it seems we’re on different teams

Pulling the rope from both ends.

If this is the game that our destiny calls for,

Honey, I don’t want to play.

We’ve been through too much to limp by on a crutch,

It’s better to just walk away.

 

I wish there was some way to make it all better,

Take back all the things that I said, but

I don’t have a potion or miracle pill

To remove all those echoing words from your head.

 

Guess I could tell you that I was just blinded

By anger in visions of red.

So full of myself, caught in the moment,

I couldn’t control all the things that I said.

But that wouldn’t matter in our big decision.

Do I leave or do I stay?

I think we both know

It’s time to go.

It’s over, so just walk away.

 

No comments: